About a decade and a half ago I was a Taco Bell line cook. Hold on, cook should really be in quotes. I was a Taco Bell line ‘cook’. Which meant I warmed and assembled Americanized Mexican food. If there was one thing I learned at Taco Bell, it was this. Mexican food is great, but bastardizing can make it even better. Here are the steps to making the ultimate taco.
2. Add nacho cheese or your choice of a cheese dip or spread. I enjoy nacho cheese or a pepper jack cheese dip.
3. Add your preference of shredder cheese. A nice ‘mexi’, ‘fiesta’, or ‘taco’ blend works best flavor-wise.
4. Melt cheeses.
5. Wrap 2 hard taco shells with the flour tortilla so that you have hard shells reaching to each end of the flour tortilla. I prefer the hard shells with the flat bottoms, makes for easier assembly. The melted cheese will hold everything together. If you use just shredded cheese, you may find the floor tortilla will not stick to the hard corn tortillas, even when melted. Another great reason to use nacho cheese or cheese dip as well as shredded.
6. Add seasoned ground beef, or your meat of choice.
7. Add picante sauce or salsa. I prefer Ortega Taco Sauce.
8. Add guacamole! Sour cream is for SUCKERS.
9. Add diced tomatoes and jalapenos.
10. Add lettuce. Most people put the tomatoes on top of the lettuce to keep them from getting warm from the heat of the ground beef, but I put them underneath to keep them from getting away. Makes for a less colorful taco, but I’d rather taste the tomatoes than look at them.
11. CONSUME THE BEAST BEFORE THE BEAST CONSUMES YOU!
If there is one thing I remember from Home Ec class it is this; The secret to great cuisine is a combination of different textures, flavors, temperatures and colors. And this beast has it all; warm, cool, spicy, sweet, smooth, savory, crunchy, soft, crisp, red, green, brown, yellow, white.
You’re welcome and ENJOY!